The entire creation is run on prana shakti. Prana is the shakti that exists in every spec of creation. The body is a combination of the varying frequencies of prana in the form of five elements. The purush or atma takes a body matching to the frequency of the desire of soul and as it does, it gets tied to the body and its related pleasures. Vedic masters say, and modern science confirms that every action has an equal and opposite reaction, the opposite of pleasure being pain, suffering and ageing of the body. With pleasure of the senses gradually the body deteriorates, senses dull, skin wrinkles, back bends, and hair grey, and at times, the deterioration of body manifests as disease. At the level of prana, it is seen as a change in frequency from subtler to grosser, from golden to red to brown, and at the level of elements it is seen as pollution of the elements in the body. Bhutashuddhi is a potent technique through which one can bring about subtle changes in the frequency of elements by means of certain chants and etheric purifications, helping the elements in the body to attain their purer states.
The ratio of five elements in the body of a normal person is 5:4:3:2:1, where five is earth and one is ether. When the earth element in a body starts reducing and the ether element starts increasing, then the being moves from a basic level of existence and starts exuding the glow and attraction associated with subtler forms such as that of a yogi.
To bring about any change in the already manifested constitution, a disturbance is created or the earlier constitution is dissolved. At every chakra, the existing gross elements and their senses are made to dissolve and then are reconstructed. This is Bhutashudhi. The immediate results are health, beauty, glow, attraction. As one progresses in the practice under the sanidhya of Guru and the intensity of practice increases, he/she is able to restore the elements to their original constitution/frequency as they manifested from the subtlest prana.
For Bhuta Shudhi,
- Sit in Siddhasana with the eyes closed and awareness drawn inwards. Watch the breath at the tip of the nostrils, while breathing in ujjai. Introduce the silent chant of so-hum, as you traverse the sushumnanadi.
- Perform the kechadi mudra (tongue rolls to touch the upper pallet) along with the mool bandh (perineum lock). Hands are placed on the knees, in a thumbs-up mudra.
- Take your awareness to the base of your spine. Invoke Prana Shakti Devi. Clad in a white sari, adorning a topknot. Be aware of the immense glow around her.
- Pay reverence to the five mahaprana. Om shripranayanamah om, om shriapanaynamah om, om shrisamanaynamah om, om shriudanaynamah om, om shrivyanaynamahom.
- Invoke the up-pranas—devdut, krikar and dhananjay.
- Take the awareness to mooladhar chakra, and become aware of a yellow square, the yantra of the mooladhar chakra, its element earth and the loka, bhu and the sense of smell associated with earth element (prithvi) and invoke the devi—Shailputri. Silently chant the beej mantra of the mooladhar chakra—lam, and as you go on chanting the mantra, go on expanding the chakra size, simultaneously keeping awareness of the yellow square also expanding. Allow it to expand and merge with the prithvi element in Creation.
- Move on to the swadhishthan chakra, and repeat the same process with the beej mantra vam, and light blue crescent moon as its yantra, taste as its sense, bhuvah as its loka and water (jal) as its element. Invoke the devi—Bhramacharini. Expand element and yantra till it merges with the element present in the creation.
- Then move on to manipoorak following the same procedure. Beej mantra is ram, loka is swah, yantra crimson red inverted triangle, element fire (agni) and sense associated is sight. Invoke the devi—Chandraghanta. Expand element and yantra till it merges with the element present in the Creation.
- Become aware of the negative or heavy entity present at the left armpit, the Paap Purush. Burn it using the agni from manipoorak chakra; deposit the ashes at mooladhar chakra.
- Moving on to anahad, keep the awareness of a pink hexagon (merger of two opposite triangles, bound by a hexagon), sense of touch, element air (vayu), loka is maha, and beej mantra is yam as you repeat the same procedure. Invoke the devi–Kushmanda.
- At vishuddhi, yantra is a dot in a circle, light violet in color, beej mantra is ham, loka is janah, sense associated is hearing/sound and element ether (akash). Invoke the devi— Skandmata.
- Move on to agya chakra, keeping awareness of tapahloka, para tattwa, the element beyond comprehension of the five senses, chant the beej mantra ham tham om. Invoke devi—Katyayni. While expanding the awareness, drop all thoughts and let go, holding the hand of the Guru merge in the infinite paratattva, the doorway to satyaloka.
- Whenever the awareness comes back, holding the hand of the Guru, first enter your body through the agya chakra, pay salutations to Lord Shiv. Go back to the mooladhar chakra and become aware of Mata Prana Shakti. Seeking blessings of the Mother Goddess go to every chakra starting from the mooladhar and reconstruct the chakra and its attributes aiming at their purest forms.
- As you come to the agya chakra, send instruction to every part of your body to reach optimal level of efficiency, take the awareness to every organ, muscle, and cell and instruct them to radiate with health and youth.
- Recite the shantipath. You can become aware of the whole body and give it the desired shape and state. Pay salutations to the Guru and Mother Goddess. After that when you open the eyes look at the center of the palms first, then the whole body.
Note: If you want to go deeper into states of dhyan faster, then instead of reconstructing your body/chakras, you let the elements be in their merged state. Slowly, slowly, depending on the state of your consciousness, the elements will fade away and merge with the Creation. All the impurities are there because of the body, the dilution to your Guru bhav is also because of these impurities associated with the physical. Once the elements merge with that of creation, the impurities, the dilutions cease to exist.
The practice involves altering the composition of body and is recommended to be taken up under guidance of an expert.