Lavender has been a preferred ingredient among royalty and many recipes. It is said Queen Elizabeth I, drank lavender tea daily to relieve migraines, while Queen Victoria had her furniture polished with a lavender-based solution. The beauty icon Cleopatra is said to have used lavender-infused perfume.
Here, we propose a delightful recipe to garner the wonders of lavender while also enjoying a sweet treat!
YOU WILL NEED:
- 2 cups maida/cake flour
- 1cup butter
- 1cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup cows milk
- 1 teaspoon zest of lemon
- 2 teaspoons air-dried lavender flowers
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Mix flour and baking powder, set aside.
- In large bowl of cream butter, add lavender, sugar and lemon zest. Continue beating until light in colour and texture.
- Add one egg at a time, beating thoroughly after each one.
- Add half of the flour mix and milk.
- Fold in the remaining flour.
- Transfer the mixture into a greased and lined baking pan.
- Bake at 180’c for 1 hour, cool and serve.
Serve with light lavender tea or a glass of cool lavender lemonade!
Author: Simrita Sarin